HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Quadcopter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thunder

Thunder

Quadcopter Empty
PostSubject: Quadcopter   Quadcopter EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 10:07 pm

I don't have any RC vehicles and haven't for the last 20 years. Was at my softball game last week (8pm), warming up waiting for the game ahead of us to finish, and this thing with lights was flying overhead about 500 ft in the air. Fucking looked like a UFO. It was zipping by at like 40 mph and just circling above us making this buzzing sound. Trying to figure out where it was coming from, my teammate and I started to scan the area and in the parking lot next to a truck we see this guy with a remote in his hand. Had to figure out what the hell this thing was.

We walked over to him and started to talk to him. He built his own quadcopter. This thing was amazing. He said it's top speed was 60-65mph. Can go over 5,000 feet in the air...yes 5,000. He can push a button and this thing will literally park itself in mid flight. The kicker was that he attached his Go-Pro to a 3 pt stabilization axis and has it connected via bluetooth to these goggles that he wear which gives him the view as if he was sitting in this thing. He let me try on the goggle while he controlled this quadcopter and it was fucking amazing. Was 1,000 feet in the air zooming over the softball fields and over the residential houses in the area was just fucking crazy.

Had to do some research. It took everything I had not to stupidly waste money on this gem:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044729-REG/dji_phantom_2_vision_plus.html

I mainly stopped myself because I would probably destroy it or get it lost on a roof or something, so I decided to find a noob one to learn on and see how it was. Purchased the following on Monday:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LCLKAE2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Received it today. It's tiny, so I can fly it indoors and if I crash it, I won't put a hole in a wall and cheap enough I could just purchase another one without feeling guilty.

Fuck man, this thing is AWESOME. Currently, I'm a shitty pilot but getting better each charge, which brings me to the worst part. The batteries are so small they only last 6-7 minutes and take 35-40 to charge. Needless to say I bought 5 spare batteries which are coming in a few days. Besides for that, this thing goes so high in the air I can't even see it anymore, zips around on a dime and so much fun. Supposedly, if I change the settings to expert mode, it will do flips, but I'm not even close to that level at this point.

So anyhow, is there anyone else that has one of these things that has any knowledge/tips on how to get the most out of it? I'm waiting for the battery to charge so I can take it back outside. The LED lights allow it to be flown in the dark.
Back to top Go down
Screaming Eagles

Screaming Eagles

Quadcopter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quadcopter   Quadcopter EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 10:30 pm

I got one of those little ones at Walmart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mfl-coding.com
SilverBallers

SilverBallers

Quadcopter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quadcopter   Quadcopter EmptyFri Jul 11, 2014 2:48 pm

I don't own one of these but from the looks of it, it would be cool to own one. I suck at flying so I would probably break the thing the 1st day I got it. That is why I own a Nitro RC truck and not a flying RC of any kind, because I am nervous I will crash it and waste my money.
Back to top Go down
Mercenaries

Mercenaries

Quadcopter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quadcopter   Quadcopter EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:09 am

Thunder wrote:
The batteries are so small they only last 6-7 minutes and take 35-40 to charge. N

LMAO...6-7 minutes? That's pretty shitty man.
Back to top Go down
http://ffgrafix.com/
Thunder

Thunder

Quadcopter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quadcopter   Quadcopter EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Mercenaries wrote:
Thunder wrote:
The batteries are so small they only last 6-7 minutes and take 35-40 to charge. N

LMAO...6-7 minutes? That's pretty shitty man.

Yeah, but realize that this thing is only 4" big. It's tiny. Batteries are $5, so I bought 5 of them. Not really a big deal. Plus, I'm not sure if you have RC experience but batteries in almost any RC car/plane/helicopter etc... are notoriously short lasting. Most last about 15 minutes, but realize that those vehicle are much bigger that a bigger capacity battery can fit.

As far as the quadcopter, this thing is the bees knees. Quick, agile and fast. First 2 charges I couldn't keep control of this thing for the life of me, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I'm not confident I can control it relatively well as long as I keep it under about 20-30 feet. In any event, the thing costs less than $40 and it's well worth it.
Back to top Go down
Screaming Eagles

Screaming Eagles

Quadcopter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quadcopter   Quadcopter EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 10:30 pm

I was saying a got a little one at Walmart, but that was just a little helicopter that doesn't fly for shit.

Someone bought my father in law a quadcopter for Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/UDI-U818A-2-4GHz-RC-Quadcopter/dp/B00D3IN11Q

He gave up trying to fly it after a day or 2 and then passed it along to me so I can show him how to use it. This little bastard is tricky. I've flown it on 4 charges now and I'm getting better at it, but there is a lot to keeping this thing in the air. All 4 times I tried to just get it off the floor and land it on the coffee table and I couldn't get it until the 4th try.

This thing is going to be pretty fun. I can only imagine how fun it is outdoors. I can't do that until I get a little better at it, and it needs to stop snowing.

I think I will have to go out and buy one for myself.

Are you still using yours Jason?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mfl-coding.com
Thunder

Thunder

Quadcopter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quadcopter   Quadcopter EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 am

Yeah man. The thing is so sweet. It took me about 3 days to get halfway decent at it and about 1 week to get pretty good to the point where I felt comfortable hovering it over someones head without bashing them in the face. Really cool. I can pretty much control it anywhere it is as long as it is lower than about 15 feet above the ground. It gets VERY easy to lose control of it when you get higher than that as orientation is difficult. I've flown it well above the top of my house and thought I lost it on more than a few occasions. If you do take it outside, make sure it isn't a windy day as these little things are practically impossible to fly in those conditions and it is more windy the higher you go. Also, if you are going to fly it very high, definitely take it out to a large field away from trees. Tree are bad, lol.

Your has a camera attached to it, so that's cool. Upload the video here!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quadcopter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quadcopter   Quadcopter Empty

Back to top Go down

Quadcopter

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gridiron Tavern :: Beyond :: Free For All-